We want to ensure children and young people are listened to and taken seriously when decisions are made that affect them, including at school, in State care, and in decision-making more broadly. Children and young people deserve good, accessible information to help them make informed choices about their lives.
Action focus areas
- Youth Action Plan development
- Youth Health and Wellbeing Survey - WhatAboutMe?
- Youth Voice Project
- Build public service competency and capability in children's rights
- Implement the Child Impact Assessment Tool across central government
- Strengthen independent oversight of Oranga Tamariki and the advocacy system
- Investment in community-based youth justice facilities
- Paiheretia te Muka Tāngata initiative: Whānau Ora approach to support Māori in the Corrections system
- Increase services for children and young people with concerning/harmful sexual behaviours.
Indicators for 'Outcome: Involved and empowered'
Indicators are used to measure progress on outcomes - for this outcome, the indicators are:
- Involvement in community
- Representation of youth voice
- Making positive choices
- Criminal offending
You can learn more about these measures on the Indicators page.